Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ninth

Another realization this week.  I'm going to call this opportunity for an experience.  It's monarch butterfly time in Iowa.  Working in the garden last weekend, I noticed 10 caterpillars on my butterfly weed and showed them to S.  He immediately wanted to put them in one of the many terrariums we have and observe them for a while.  I always discourage this because I worry whatever animal he houses may die under our care (I have enough of that sort of thing to worry about at work).  Usually he is pretty good about letting the toad or praying mantis or snake go after a few hours.  We fed and watched the three caterpillars for three days.  They ate the fresh butterfly weed we gave them with ferocious appetite.  Then one after another they climbed to the top of the terrarium, hung upside down for a few hours and made their beautiful chrysalises. (Yes that is the right word, my mac says so!) We will open the lid, so that if they hatch when we are not here, they can fly away.   Although I still believe wild things need to stay wild, I do love watching these right outside my back door.  What a fleeting gift of beauty made possible by S's curiosity.  I must remember to encourage and nurture this opportunity for an experience.

No comments: