One of the perks of my job is the occasional gift that comes my way. At Christmas patients bring homemade cookies and candies. The delivery of a baby often brings thank you notes with pictures, flowers or edible treats. A few weeks ago I delivered a gorgeous baby girl to a lovely couple. They will be wonderful parents and are delighted with their new baby. They dropped off a thank you basket of fruit to the office yesterday. I brought it home; K and s are quite impressed. s said last night (after discussing the pros and cons of having a job which brings one into contact with blood) that he is definitely going to be a physician if people bring you gift baskets. This morning, noticing my casual attire, he asked if I was going to work today. When I told him I am off, he said "yea", closely followed by "darn". I asked him to explain. He replied "Yea, cause we get to walk to school, darn because maybe you'll get more gift baskets if you go to work." I have mentioned to my children many times that the opportunity and ability to do the work I do everyday is a gift in itself; it appears that the gift basket has made more of an impression for now.
I'm not much of a crafter or project person. Although I grew up in 4-H and know how to sew, quilt, knit, crochet, tat, needlepoint, embroider, cook, bake and work in the shop, those projects have largely fallen away in the busyness of life. I have been blessed with a childcare provider who enjoys crafts and has spent large amounts of time crafting with the kids. It has developed their fine motor skills and given them patience. I am eternally thankful for this, and many other roles, Angie has had in my kids' lives.
So, when the note came home Monday night that K needed a replica of an Iroquois long house made with representative materials by Friday, I had several gut responses--so little notice; argh, a project; anxiety about butting heads with my daughter over details; so little notice. That said, we consulted Wikipedia, I started turning things over in my mind and I had a light week at work. My first attempt to attach pine needles to cardboard failed and left me pretty sticky. Next I (yes, I. As my husband pointed out, I took control in order to get the project finished) cut out cardboard and used twigs from the garden to construct a semblance of a longhouse. (see above) K did watch almost the whole process. (We only had 15 minutes until Biggest Loser!) After my husband pointed out my over involvement in the project I was repentant and K and I came up with a new plan involving using leaves and a glue gun to cover the cardboard.
We think the new longhouse is beautiful and a bit whimsical. We didn't use wood or thatch to form the walls, but other products from trees. I'm a bit worried about that, but K isn't so we'll see what the teacher thinks of our effort.
1 comment:
It's gorgeous! Maybe when it comes home from school you can leave it in the yard for the faeries.
Post a Comment