Monday, October 13, 2008

Twenty one






I love the color and leaf of this thai basil.  Definitely a keeper for next year. Here in the picture with my favorite perennial geranium.

For next year, more zinnias in more spots!  I love how bright and tall they are.  I used off white nasturtiums this year in the white garden; next year, back to orange and red in a different spot.  Also I need more variegation in the border around the deck. (it will be a good winter project to find the right plant!)  I plan to put in more daffodils this week in the south bed.

A typical sign of s's presence, turned over bricks.  He turns over heavy things looking for bugs and doesn't quite get them back in the right spot.  I noticed a few weeks ago that the heavy limestone pavers were out of place--I've heard of winter heave from freezing, but what could the mechanism be in the summer?  After puzzling a bit, I asked s and he confirmed he's moved on to bigger stones!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay - pictures!! You definitely made the right decision.

Zinnias are spectacular - do you grow dahlias, too? They do well here but I've heard Iowa is the perfect environment for them.

I am intrigued by the bug hunter. I flipped over a piece of wood yesterday and found a centipede. Ewww. If only S was here to pick it up and inspect it.