Monday, September 1, 2008

Eleventh

So I got "tagged" by Jenn.  A list can be a difficult thing, but this is a reflective time. This is a bit of a crossroads, I am definitely no longer a kid (except to the octogenarians, its all in the perspective) and have tried to use this year to think about what I have done so far and to reflect on my goals for the next 60 years (or so).  I have had trouble finding three things for each category, so I just listed as many items as are pertinent.


My joys:
  • my family
  • my friends
  • my work
  • my (and my family's) health. 
I am the luckiest person I know.

My fears:
  • making a mistake at work.  I love my job.  One of my greatest challenges, however, is the command of the Hippocratic oath;"First, do no harm".  Unfortunately, it is possible to harm both by not doing enough and by doing too much.  Missing a diagnosis is something every physician is constantly vigilant against.  On the other hand, diagnostic tests can also reveal incidental findings which have no clinical significance but can cause extra anxiety and unnecessary testing or procedures.  Finding the right balance is a constant struggle and still causes sleepless nights.
  • multiple sclerosis
My goals:
  • making a difference, to my family and my patients, and maybe someday the world beyond
  • peace, within myself, toward others and in the world
  • 40 (or so) more years of Ragbrai
Obsessions/collections
  • Ragbrai
  • my garden
  • collections-old globes and antique watering cans
Surprising facts
(I'm not sure how anything could be surprising to readers as everyone has known me for a long time!)
  • I was a cheerleader in high school
  • I played rugby (poorly) in college
  • I delivered a very special baby three days after S's birth.  (This is one of the reasons I no longer need to prove my physical and mental toughness--two centuries, two deliveries, residency and Libby's birth (which actually wasn't that hard) )



No comments: